Have you lost your confidence around your horse and you want to re-gain it back? Maybe you’re new to horses and you just want to gain confidence. In this post I’ll share with you 5 easy ways to help you re-gain or gain confidence around your horse.
Whether you’re new to horses or you’ve been around them for a while at some point you may lose your confidence around them. You may have had a riding accident or maybe you were hurt on the ground when handling them. If you’re new to horses your confidence level is probably not very high yet. If you’ve lost your confidence don’t beat yourself up. There are top professionals who have been hurt and have struggled with confidence issues.
Some people will gain their confidence back in a short period of time while others it will take awhile to get their confidence back. Every person is different on how quickly they re-gain their confidence. The most important thing is to go at a pace that you’re comfortable with.
Just know that horses can read your energy really well and will know if you have confidence or not. Here are 5 easy things you can do to help re-gain your confidence back around your horse. You’ll want to start out slowly by doing the following.
- Stand or sit outside your horse’s pen. Do this a couple of times a day and spend 10 to 15 minutes outside their pen for a week. As you’re standing or sitting there you can read a book, doodle, write down your thoughts or just observe your horse’s behavior. Doing this will help you to relax. If your horse comes to the fence pet or scratch on them.
- Be mindful of your breathing cause a lot of time we will find ourselves holding our breath. Make sure you’re not breathing shallow that causes tension. Take some deep breaths by inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling slowly through your mouth so the horse can hear you. This will be relaxing to both you and the horse.
- Singing is another way to help you relax and works really well if you have a hard time focusing on your breathing. After all when you’re singing you can’t hold your breath. So go ahead sing your favorite song your horse won’t care what you sound like. LOL
- Be present when you are spending time with your horse. Horses live in the moment so clear your mind and focus on relaxing and being in the present moment with your horse. Let the other thoughts leave your mind.
- Visualize what you want the relationship to be like between you and your horse. Close your eyes and smile and see the great partnership you and your horse will have.
Try what I mentioned above and before you know it you’ll find your confidence increasing little by little. As your confidence grows you’ll find yourself wanting to get in the pen with them. There are a lot of things you can do with your horse in their pen, but that will be mentioned in another blog post.
Do you have anything to add to the list? If so I would love to know what it is. Leave me a comment below.